THE TIME IS NOW.
Canton Residents for a Sustainable, Equitable Future
Canton Residents for a Sustainable, Equitable Future (CR4SEF), or "Sustainable Canton," works to address the accelerating climate crisis and mitigate its effects by promoting public engagement through education and thoughtful action. The volunteer organization is determined to advance environmental justice, standing in support of frontline communities and those most heavily impacted by the effects of environmental hazards and climate change.
CR4SEF collaborates with local, state, and national groups to advance the rapid transition to a resilient, renewable/green, equitable society, economy and sustainable environment—working in coalition toward a livable future for everyone.
The group welcomes Canton-area residents of all ages and backgrounds to join in "acting locally," on an array of impactful initiatives at any given time.
Canton Residents for A Sustainable, Equitable Future is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization.
Our tax ID # is 84-1849871
Greta Thunberg Speaks at 2019 UN Climate Action Summit in NYC
COMMUNITY CHOICE AGGREGATION
MA POWER FORWARD 3/4 ADVOCACY DAY
Activists needed! Sign up before March 1st to help lobby for environmental justice & climate action legislative priorities. Why?
1. Support the Environmental
Justice Table’s priorities; reform the Energy Facility Siting Board, Improve Air Quality for pollution hot spots, restore the ability to sue the gov't for unequal impact, & clarify the definitions of environmental justice
2. Support MA Renews Alliance work to rapidly retrofit homes to be affordable, efficient, electric and climate healing-with priority to environmental justice neighborhoods.
3. Continue the work from last session to get Mass to 100% renewable energy!
1) The Weymouth compressor remains shut down, with no word from PHSMA re: the second compressor accident this fall. It's
remained shut down now for 115 days since the order.
2) Great news! President Biden has selected Rich Glick as FERC chairman. Glick tweeted: "The Weymouth Compressor Station raises serious environmental justice questions, which we need to examine. The communities surrounding the project are regularly subjected to high levels of pollution & residents are concerned emissions from the station will make things worse."
3) Later this year, Biden will be able to appoint a third person to the five-person FERC board.
Read The Boston Globe 12/13/20 Spotlight investigation: In Weymouth, A Brute Lesson in Power Politics
Supporting the fight against the Weymouth Compressor Station
In 2017, our group was instrumental in having the Board of Selectmen Resolution prohibiting a high-pressure gas pipeline through Canton (and other new gas infrastructure).
While the fight continues, it is important to recognize the impact of this tireless group during the past 6 years. Read 11 profound FRRACS accomplishments.
Watch GreenFest Video with Educational Speakers and Youth Speak Out
PLASTIC BAG REDUCTION
In May 2019 at Town Meeting, Canton became the 112th Massachusetts town to pass a plastic bag reduction by-law that helps mitigate climate change and pollution. Now more than 50% of the state's population has banned single-use plastic bags at the point of sale.
Virtual Board Meeting
February 9, 2020
CR4SEF Meeting Calendar
Once it is safe again, future meetings will be held at Canton Public Library (Maker Room) from 7-8:30 PM
Wednesday August 26
Wednesday September 23
Wednesday October 28
Wednesday November 18
Wednesday December 16